Sunday, August 30, 2009

(II)Dublin : The calm before the storm

I'm not sure which is more striking. The fact that there are more Australians than Irish in Dublin, or that the street signs are older than our constitution.

After nearly getting run over by not looking the right direction when crossing the street (the maniacs drive on the wrong side of the road!), I take a bus into Dublin and hop off at the Dublin Spire after realizing that I was hopelessly lost without the address for the hostel. After some grunting and hand gestures I established that the local language was not yet Russian, but English. I make it to my hostel after a while wandering around with wide eyes and a fly trap the size of a tea saucer. This city is beautiful!

I no sooner than step out of a long overdue shower than meet one of my roommates who promptly invites me to join him and our other roommates to a tour of the Jameson whiskey plant. As night turned to day, so did the whiskey turn into Guinness. Awesome night made short : well, I think I just did. Surely my impression of this night was biased by my debut into travelling in Europe and hanging out with other twenty-somethings coming and going on their own adventures, but it was just that : amazing.

The next morning, I crawled out of bed then woke up. Knowing that I had everything to see and no time to do it, I naturally gave up. I walked through a triathalon, past the zoo, found a museum (and my new favorite modern artist), and otherwise wandered aimlessly around Dublin. I'll take tours when I'm retired, I'm here to see the city.

Any impressions? I feel like I should say that the people were really nice. But I won't. I don't understand why this is such an oft used description of a city. Are there cities where people are supposed to be really mean? Is there some backwater city in the world were people go out of their way to be rude? We give too much credit to culture and its ability to fundamentally alter a person. So far in my limited travels, niceness seems to be prevalent among people. Even if they're not from Portland.

Dublin. Where the people party as if they bought sin at a two for one sale. My gateway to Moscow.

No comments:

Post a Comment