Friday, November 13, 2009

Learning about Russian culture is difficult. Especially when your friends tell you that they grew up on American culture. They read American comics, read American literature, grew up watching movies from Mike Nichols and Jimmy Jarmusch. Aside from being inundated with Soviet cartoons, I've been getting an excellent education in Ameican culture. Does it seem strange to anyone but me that all of my friends were born in the Soviet Union?

I went to Liza's English class this afternoon where we discussed stereotypes for different regions in the States. They were very interested in the differences between southern belles, valley girls, and jersey girls. As well as how hicks, hillbillys, and rednecks are different. Did you know that people from Arkansas are made from corn?

Aside from being filled to the gills with math here, I spend alot of my time learning alot about English (question of the night last night: what are the prepositions doing in "I've been out/up/down there"), Russian (who knew it would be so hard to ask for the piece of cheese on the left, no not your left, my left), and French (it's me and two frenchmen in my Russian class).

What else... The highlight of my new in the apartment was finding out that I can open the paint enrusted windows, and I am now able to open one bottle of beer with another. Oh man, if only my scholarship advisor could read what I'm learning to do in Russia. Oh wait she does.

Speaking of research, I found a professor here that does work related to what I'm currently doing with Holly. The only tricky part is staying out of his spit zone, otherwise I think we're going to hit it off real well.

Aside from falling голова over heels in love, I think that's it in the news department for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment